At least 34 people have been killed and 82 others injured after a deadly bomb attack targeted a train near Quetta, officials said.
The explosion struck a train carrying security personnel and civilians in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province on Sunday, causing multiple passenger coaches and the train engine to derail.
Emergency teams rushed to the scene as rescue operations continued. Authorities warned that the death toll could rise as crews search through damaged train carriages.
Police and local officials said security forces secured the area following the blast while investigators worked to determine the full circumstances surrounding the attack.
A separatist armed group operating in the region claimed responsibility for the bombing.
Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif condemned the attack, calling it an act of terrorism and reaffirming the government’s commitment to tackling militant violence.
The attack highlights continuing security concerns in Balochistan, where insurgent violence has repeatedly targeted infrastructure and security operations in recent years.
The region previously witnessed a major train-related attack in 2025 that resulted in multiple deaths and heightened security concerns across Pakistan.