'Like a rock in my face': Teen Victim Speaks Out After Boys Avoid Jail in Sexual Assault Case

author
by DD Report
May 24, 2026 11:49 AM
Southampton crown court, where the judge expressed hope for the boys’ reintegration. Photograph: Britpix/Alamy
  • The 16-year-old said the court decision left her feeling that justice had not been fully served.

A teenage girl has spoken publicly about her disappointment after three boys convicted in a serious sexual assault case avoided immediate jail sentences.

Speaking anonymously alongside her family, the 16-year-old said the court decision left her feeling that justice had not been fully served.

The case is now being reviewed by legal authorities after concerns were raised over the sentences handed down at court.

Judge Nicholas Rowland said during sentencing that he wanted to avoid “criminalising” the young offenders because of their ages, while also recognising the seriousness of the crimes.

The teenager said going through the legal process had been extremely difficult and questioned whether the outcome reflected the impact on victims.

The offences involved two teenage victims, with the defendants convicted over attacks that took place in Hampshire in 2024 and 2025. The court also heard that recordings of the crimes had been shared online.

The Attorney General’s office is now reviewing the case and has the authority to decide whether the sentences should be referred to the appeal court for reconsideration.

Government minister Darren Jones said the matter was being looked at urgently and stressed that victims and their families deserve justice.

The victim’s family also expressed disappointment at the outcome, calling for stronger action and urging leaders to review the case.

Political figures across parties reacted strongly. Robert Jenrick said justice had not been achieved, while Kemi Badenoch described the case as deeply concerning.

Rachel de Souza said she was concerned by the case and confirmed support would be offered to the affected families.

A government spokesperson said officials understood public concern and confirmed the case was receiving urgent attention.

Full screen image
Southampton crown court, where the judge expressed hope for the boys’ reintegration. Photograph: Britpix/Alamy