Woman Who Killed Nottingham Father Had Three Earlier Crashes

Nahida Ashraf
Aug 20, 2026 08:49 AM
Inquest hears woman who killed Nottingham father had been involved in three earlier crashes.

Nomazwe Moyo, who was jailed for 12 years after killing 20-year-old father-of-two Muhammad Aftab Ahmad in a Nottingham road crash, had been involved in three previous collisions before the fatal incident, an inquest has heard. Moyo had also been diagnosed with “probable epilepsy”, advised not to drive and told to notify the DVLA about her condition, but continued driving before the October 2025 collision on the A610 Bobbers Mill Bridge in Alfreton Road.

The inquest into Ahmad’s death, being held at Nottingham Coroners’ Court, is examining the circumstances surrounding the fatal collision and whether lessons should be learned to prevent similar deaths in the future.

Ahmad, known as Tabi, was working as a food delivery rider on a moped when he was struck by Moyo on 18 October 2025.

Evidence presented to the inquest described a sequence of dangerous driving shortly before the collision.

Nottinghamshire Police serious collision investigator Louise Melbourne told the hearing that Moyo had been travelling towards Nottingham city centre in her mother’s car when she overtook an off-duty police officer and then passed a bus.

The bus driver described her manner of driving as resembling that of a “boy racer”, the inquest heard.

Moyo then overtook another vehicle and clipped its wing mirror before colliding with Ahmad. The impact threw the young rider from his moped into the path of oncoming traffic.

Investigators determined that Moyo had taken her mother’s vehicle without permission and was travelling at approximately twice the speed limit. She was also uninsured at the time.

After striking Ahmad, Moyo continued driving. She subsequently collided with the rear of a taxi before crashing head-on into another vehicle.

Ahmad suffered a fatal head injury and died as a result of the collision.

The inquest heard that police records contained details of three previous collisions involving Moyo in 2022 and 2023.

In July 2022, Moyo crashed into a central reservation in Kimberley, Nottinghamshire. Police records noted that a seizure “may have been a possibility”.

A year later, in July 2023, a vehicle driven by Moyo overturned. She was recorded as having crawled out of the vehicle and said she could not remember what had happened. The records also noted that she had previously passed out.

A colleague who had been travelling behind Moyo reportedly saw her unconscious following that collision.

A third incident occurred on 23 November 2023, when Moyo was involved in a crash involving three other vehicles. Police records stated that she had “blacked out” before the collision.

Between 2022 and 2025, Moyo had medical appointments with her GP and a neurologist concerning seizures and episodes of fainting.

Consultant neurologist Sue Lynn told the inquest through a statement that Moyo had subsequently been diagnosed with “probable epilepsy” and prescribed medication. Lynn said she had not been aware that Moyo was continuing to drive.

The inquest heard that a drug test conducted after the fatal crash found therapeutic levels of Moyo’s epilepsy medication in her blood.

However, police investigator Louise Melbourne stressed that there was no evidence showing Moyo had suffered a medical episode immediately before hitting Ahmad.

Melbourne said the evidence indicated that Moyo appeared to have control of the vehicle before the collision, given the overtaking manoeuvres she carried out.

What happened after Ahmad was struck remained less certain.

A driver whose vehicle Moyo subsequently hit described her as appearing “not quite with it” and having a blank expression. When asked what had happened, Moyo reportedly said she had hit something and then accelerated.

While in custody, Moyo said she could not remember the collision with Ahmad.

The hearing has also raised questions about whether sufficient steps were taken to alert the DVLA to Moyo’s medical history before the fatal collision.

Drivers in the UK have a legal responsibility to notify the DVLA about medical conditions that could affect their ability to drive safely.

The inquest heard that police can use a D751 form to refer drivers to the licensing authority when medical concerns arise. However, neither Nottinghamshire Police nor East Midlands Ambulance Service had been required to make such a referral in connection with Moyo’s earlier collisions.

Following the fatal crash, Melbourne made a referral to the DVLA.

A separate referral was made to the Independent Office for Police Conduct concerning previous police contact with Moyo.

Chief Inspector James Walker told the inquest that the 2025 investigation identified concerns about the absence of a DVLA referral following two of Moyo’s 2023 collisions.

The matter was subsequently considered by Nottinghamshire Police’s professional standards team. The team concluded there was “no case to answer”, partly because officers had no statutory duty to make the referral at the time.

Nottinghamshire Police has since introduced a revised policy for recording road traffic collisions. The new procedure came into force in June 2026.

For Daily Dazzling Dawn, the inquest highlights the difficult questions surrounding medical fitness to drive, information-sharing between public bodies and the safeguards available when repeated road collisions raise concerns about a driver's health.

Moyo was sentenced to 12 years in prison in June after admitting causing Ahmad’s death.

The inquest continues at Nottingham Coroners’ Court, where evidence will be considered to determine whether any recommendations should be made to help prevent future deaths.

Full screen image
Inquest hears woman who killed Nottingham father had been involved in three earlier crashes.